HCA Healthcare Faces Large-Scale Data Breach, Patient Information Stolen.
July 11, 2023: HCA Healthcare, one of the largest healthcare companies in the U.S., has acknowledged a significant data breach that potentially affects tens of millions of its patients. Personal information, including patient names, city of residence, and details about their most recent provider visit, has been compromised and is now being sold on a data breach forum.
Although clinical information remains secure, a report suggests that an unknown hacking group has provided evidence of a “low-risk” lung cancer assessment of a patient, contradicting HCA Healthcare’s claim that no protected health or material information was breached. The breach impacts patients across almost two dozen states, with a concentration of affected individuals in Florida and Texas.
While this breach is concerning, it may not be as harmful as other incidents, as HCA Healthcare states that diagnoses and critical medical information appear unaffected. However, the hacker claims to possess emails containing health diagnoses tied to specific patient IDs.
Unfortunately, data breaches involving patient information are not uncommon, and their consequences can vary. HCA Healthcare’s breach does not involve critical medical records but originated from an external storage system used exclusively for automating email formatting.
- HCA Healthcare faces a significant data breach with potentially millions of affected patients.
- Personal information, including patient names and contact details, is being sold on a data breach forum.
- Clinical and critical medical information does not appear to be compromised.
- The breach affects patients across several states, particularly in Florida and Texas.
- HCA Healthcare’s breach originated from an external storage system used for email formatting automation.